Monday, August 30, 2010

Quilt judging

People ask if I have entered a quilt in a "show." My answer is "no, not yet" and I'll tell you why.

For a lot of shows and definitely all the local and regional Fairs here, the "Danish system" of judging is used. If you aren't familiar with it, let me explain.

The judges are provided with a list of standards that the quilt (or any other entry for that matter!) should meet. If the entry meets the standard well, the highest point value is assigned, not quite as well as it could, a lower value, etc. A total point value is then determined.

The total is then compared to the scale that is set for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. places, similar to a grading system in school. So, do I have to tell you what happens or what could happen? Yup, theoretically, every entry in a category could receive a 1st place (blue ribbon). Now, compare that to the traditional grading system in school and tell me what is wrong.

When I compete for a prize - and I have, but not in quilting - I expect that a First Place, Blue Ribbon means mine was the best in the category. If this is not the case, then what does the ribbon mean, what is the point? That my quilt met a minimum standard (along with 100 others?), that there was NOTHING better about my quilt (fabric choice, difficulty of pattern, etc.) than the others? This is not grading a paper in school for retention of knowledge, this is a competition to showcase skills, talent and creativity.

IMHO, the Danish system of judging is yet another example of our touchy, feely, don't hurt anyone's feeling liberal society. It is determining a lowest common denominator for everyone and, hey, folks, that is NOT what COMPETITION is all about!

Check back! It is late in the day and I may revise this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment